Students who opt for baseball/softball will be coached by top professional coaches from the US, the best baseball/softball developmental model in the world
Starting from the next scholastic year all current Year 6 students are being offered the possibility of opting to follow the Sport Career Development Programme (SCDP) that will be available in all State Middle Schools in Malta and Gozo.
This sport-oriented programme, aimed at students who wish to further develop their potential in a particular discipline, will include four weekly lessons in addition to the already provided three Physical Education lessons per week.
During the five-year course of studies that will be entirely practical and hands-on, selected students will be able to focus on their preferred discipline as well as other areas related to the sporting world such as Fitness, Outdoor Education, Photography, Media amongst other areas. Students will be provided with the necessary skills and knowledge in order to pursue a full time or part time career in sport, not necessarily from the playing aspect.
At the end of the first two years of study, at the end of Year 8, successful students will be awarded a qualification at MQF Level 1 while if successful by the end of Year 11, students will be awarded a qualification at MQF Level 2 or 3 (METSEC O Level), depending on their level of attainment.
Among the sporting disciplines that will be catered for during scholastic year 2018/9 at the Gozo Middle School there will also be baseball/softball. This is a tremendous opportunity for the development of our main sport on the island which is rapidly gaining in popularity.
The Ghajnsielem Redcoats are fully committed in support of this project and will supply US professional softball and baseball coaches to assist the teachers to ensure that the objectives of the programme are achieved. Those students who have an interest in sports are urged to select SCDP and baseball/softball in particular. The benefits of opting for baseball/softball are the following:
- Students will learn the skills necessary to be able to play a very exciting game, including batting the ball, throwing, catching, pitching, and base running, using high quality equipment.
- Students will be coached by top professional baseball/softball coaches from the US, the best baseball/softball developmental model in the world.
- During the course of the five year programme students will develop into fine elite baseball/softball players able to compete with the best in Europe.
- Students who perform well would have a great opportunity to represent Malta, playing for the national team, in international competitions.
- Those students who select baseball/softball would travel abroad each summer with the Ghajnsielem Redcoats to participate in international competitions. The Redcoats will subsidise the costs related to the travelling expenses of each player.
- For those boys who already play a sport at club level, such as football, by selecting baseball/softball they would have the opportunity to learn and excel at a second sport and in doing so develop better into complete athletes.
- By selecting baseball/softball girls would have the opportunity to be part of the Ghajnsielem Redcoats who actively seek to enhance the exposure of female athletes at the national and international level while providing opportunities for girls to play a sport and achieve an elite status.
The Programme was announced by Hon Clifton Grima, Parliamentary Secretary for Youth, Sports and Voluntary Organisations during a press conference earlier this week. Mr Kevin Azzopardi EO PE, who worked on this project since its inception was also at the press conference. Applications for the SCDP are open until Monday April 23rd, 2018.