REDCOATS RECEIVE MORE FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOR IGETS

KVN_0670b copy

The financial support will enable 17 youth softball players along with four coaches to attend the training camp which will be held in Zagreb, Croatia, this summer

The Erasmus+ Sports: Small Collaborative Partnerships project of the Ghajnsielem Redcoats, Inclusion & Gender Equality Through Softball, received further support this week when the Parliamentary Secretary for Youth, Sports and Voluntary Organisations, Hon Dr Clifton Grima, presented a cheque to IGETS co-ordinator and Redcoats President, Joseph Scicluna, as part of a co-financing commitment from the Government, at the offices of the Ministry for Education and Employment in Floriana.

IGETS will cost over €72,000 and the Redcoats are responsible for €26,000 of the overall costs. The European Union through the Erasmus+ Sports programme co-financed the project with a contribution of 80% of the total costs. The three partners in the project are responsible for the other 20%. During the summer the Ghajnsielem Redcoats applied for co-financing from the Maltese Government and following a thorough evaluation of the project, the Secretariat for Youth, Sports and Voluntary Organisations within the Ministry for Education and Employment accepted the application of the Club and agreed to cover the commitment of the Redcoats.

On Tuesday, January 16, the agreement was signed by the Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Education and Employment, Dr Fabian Fabri, and Ghajnsielem Redcoats President Joseph Scicluna. A cheque with half the amount awarded to the Club was presented by Hon Dr Clifton Grima. The balance will be paid once the project is complete and the Redcoats submit the final reports.

The is a very significant development for the Ghajnsielem Redcoats in more ways than one. The co-financing from the Maltese Government is yet another vote of confidence not just in the project itself but also in the Club and its efforts to promote gender equality in sports. The financial support received from Hon Dr Clifton Grima, the Parliamentary Secretary for Youth, Sports and Voluntary Organisations, will enable 17 youth softball players along with four coaches and club officials to attend the training camp which will be held in Zagreb, Croatia, this summer. All the eligible costs will be covered by the European Union and by the Maltese Government.

 The Ghajnsielem Redcoats would like to thank Hon Dr Clifton Grima, the Parliamentary Secretary for Youth, Sports and Voluntary Organisations, and everyone within the Secretariat for their support. The Club will continue to strive for gender equality in sports Malta and Gozo.

SHARE THIS STORY